An Introduction to Mobile Apps & Features In The Digital Era
People across the globe are more eager than ever before in this digital age to utilize mobile applications for personal gain. For obtaining and requesting services from the internet, mobile apps are more user-friendly nowadays, and they function quicker. Even large corporations have realized that access to web-based applications has moved from personal computers to mobile devices. A great user interface is essential for a mobile app to be a success. In another sentence, mobile is on its way to becoming the next big thing in IT.
In 2016, the global mobile entertainment market was worth about $65,9 billion. To have fun, we don't need to watch TV, DVDs, or go to poker games anymore since those things are all accessible as smartphone applications.
Here, we’ll go over what mobile apps are, why they’re beneficial, and the different types of mobile applications.
What Are Mobile Apps
An app for a mobile device is intended to operate on a smartphone or a tablet computer, both of which are examples of mobile devices. Apps, despite their tiny size and restricted functionality, are nevertheless able to provide their customers with high-quality products and services.
Instead of relying on fully integrated software systems, mobile apps do away with the need for them. Basically, mobile apps provide a specialized set of capabilities. There are a variety of applications that fall under this category.
The Difference Between Paid & In-App Purchase
Developing mobile applications is a popular choice for ambitious entrepreneurs and developers who are hoping to earn "quick money."
While browsing through applications, you might have come across options like ‘Paid’ and ‘In-App Purchases’. So what does this mean?
Paid or Premium Apps
As the name suggests, a paid app is an application that you need to pay to use. Usually paid applications are extremely high-quality or offer services that are sought after but low in supply. Customers are more inclined to pay for a premium app if the material or service it provides is appealing.
Some apps can be downloaded free of charge, but consumers can only use a limited amount of features. Basically, app developers need to make a profit from all the effort and tech used to create an app. To entice users to download their app, they give the option to use a few features. Once the consumer is happy with their services, they can choose to upgrade by making in-app purchases. For example, on the popular game Candy Crush, you can play the levels for free, but to get more lives, more rewards, and other benefits, you need to make an in-app purchase.
The Phenomenal Growth of Smartphones & Apps In India
As smartphones got more affordable and common, it was only a matter of time until the mobile app market exploded. The number of smartphone users worldwide is estimated by Statista at three billion, with an additional few hundred million expected in the future years.
China, India, as well as the United States have the most smartphone users out of all nations. As of December 2019, India has 502.2 million smartphone users, according to market research company techARC. This implies that 77% of Indians currently use smartphones to access wireless internet.
To offer you a better understanding of the current state of the mobile app market, we've compiled some key data.
- 63 times a day is the average number of checks a mobile user does on their smartphone.
- Eighty-seven percent of smartphone users check their devices an hour or more before going to bed.
- Sixty-nine percent of people say they check their phone five minutes before going to bed.
- After just one day of usage, 79% of people will give up on a digital product.
- Today, mobile applications account for almost 57% of all digital media consumption.
- The annual amount of mobile app downloads will exceed 258 billion by 2022. This is a significant increase over the 168 billion people that were online in 2017.
The Importance of Mobile Apps For Consumers
The way companies work has been completely transformed thanks to mobile apps. Around 3.5 billion individuals will possess smartphones by 2020. There is no better method to educate customers about a product than via mobile applications, which are fast, direct, and customized.
1. Mobile applications have a high level of engagement.
App developers have created a large number of engrossing applications with excellent UI/UX engineering, resulting in an enjoyable user experience and/or usability for users. Aside from that, mobile applications provide a wide range of features and functionalities that help keep the value of each one alive.
2. Can operate in an offline mode
The majority of a mobile app's functions require the use of data. The beauty of mobile applications is that certain fundamental functions may be used without a data subscription or in an offline mode. This allows mobile users to still benefit from using a mobile device even if they do not have a data subscription.
3. Make a lot of things simpler to do
Numerous productivity applications have been created by app developers and are now very popular among smartphone owners. As a matter of fact, productivity applications help workers be more productive.
How Businesses Can Benefit From Mobile Apps
As our culture becomes more mobile-centric, it's no wonder that mobile applications are at the heart of the new product development effort.. Mobile app development may help your business reach new consumers and achieve greater success in the future.
Developing and deploying a mobile app has many advantages. A few of the top advantages for companies across a broad range of sectors are listed below.
1. Develop customer loyalty
Mobile applications, particularly in retail, aim to build consumer loyalty over time.
2. Strengthen your company's image
Brand promotion via a new channel is possible with mobile applications. Customers are enticed to download a free branded version of mobile applications in order to personalize their preferences to suit their own requirements.
3. Increasing your accessibility
Due to their continuous mobility, smartphones, as well as tablet users, may not always have the opportunity to login into a mobile website. These mobile websites, on the other hand, are created for reading and mobility, NOT for process management purposes. With mobile applications, consumers may have immediate, hands-on access to information, goods, services, and procedures they need in real-time.
The Top Categories For Mobile Apps
You've probably guessed by now that gaming applications have been dominating the market for a while. However, as time passes and technology advances, these patterns may shift. There is a list of mobile apps that are in high demand. Moving on, let's talk about some of the most popular app categories at the moment.
There's little question that gaming applications are the most popular app category across all major platforms. The immersive nature of video games is one of their most compelling features.
According to data, gaming applications account for 21.53% of all apps available on the Apple App Store.
Action video games are quite popular right now. In addition, gaming applications use a significant amount of hardware resources on the smartphone. To get the most out of your gaming experience, choose mobile applications that are hosted on a quality phone device. So, if you're thinking of making an app, go with games.
- Most widely used game apps
- PUBG Mobile: 34 million registered players
- Clash of Clans: 133 million registered players
- Call of Duty Mobile: 210 million registered players
As a result of the worldwide shutdown, companies had to adapt. Because of this, there has been an increase in the demand for business applications. Using Zoom as an example, Sensor Tower reports that in the second quarter of 2020, Zoom had over 300 million downloads, making it one of the most popular smartphone applications.
The primary goal of the company applications was to make working remotely more convenient. As a result, other applications, like Skype, Google Meet, and Google Docs, have seen significant growth. The time has come for business applications to capitalize on the growing popularity of remote working now that the general public is aware of it.
- Business apps that are the most often used include
- LinkedIn: 740 million registered users
- Skype: 100 million registered users
- Google Workspace: 2.6 billion registered users
3. Social Networking
Do these applications even need an introduction?
Social media has captivated our generation, and for good reason. The realm of social media has its own rules and regulations. Almost all of us make use of social media to stay in touch with our loved ones, friends, and coworkers.
Having a platform in which you can meet new people or interact with like-minded folks to exchange ideas or have fruitful conversations is the primary goal. We'll verify your app concept in real-time, so contact us if you have any questions about how to build a money making social networking app.
- Most Popular Social Media Apps
- Instagram: 1.386 billion registered users
- Twitter: 206 million registered users
- WhatsApp: 2 billion registered users
Every once in a while, those of us who own smartphones enjoy plugging in our headphones, relaxing, and listening to music.
Downloading songs to listen to while you're not connected to the network is possible with a number of popular music applications, such as Spotify and Pandora.
Aside from music, there are indeed a plethora of thought-provoking and educational podcasts available nowadays that allow you to learn valuable lessons from influential people while you're on the move.
- Best-selling Music Apps
- Spotify: 165 million premium customers
- Shazam: 478 million registered users
- Amazon Music: 55 million registered users
Numerous lifestyle elements are addressed in this mobile app area. People's lives vary, which is why the applications in this category cater to a wide range of people's distinct personalities.
At what time in the morning do you look forward to reading your horoscope and getting your day started, or do you check your quality of sleep on the fitness trackers on your phone on your way to the gym? There's a lifestyle app for everyone, regardless of who they are or where they live. So, to summarize, these lifestyle applications cover a broad range of topics.
- Most Popular Lifestyle Apps
- Pinterest: 454 million registered users
- Tinder: 75 million registered users
- TimePassages: 3 million registered users
The use of educational or self-education applications became more important after the entire COVID-19 debacle, which limited education to digital media. The whole purpose of an educational app is to offer materials and enable digital classrooms so that people may acquire new skills.
Apps for education may also help instructors organize, arrange, and deliver knowledge to their pupils in a more effective manner.
- Most Popular Educational Apps
- Google Classroom: 150 million registered users
- Duolingo: 8.2 million registered users
- Coursera: 77 million registered users
How To Download Mobile Apps
Instructions For Downloading Apps To Your iPhone
Follow the steps below to download apps from the App Store on your iPhone or iPad:
- Use Touch ID, Face ID, or your password to unlock your iPhone.
- Go to the App Store in your phone's settings.
- Browse the Today, Games, or Apps sections to find the app you're looking for, or use the Search option to do a specific search.
- Then, on the app's right-hand side, select ‘Get’ to begin your download.
- Enter your passcode or use Touch ID to verify the installation. To enable Face ID and confirm the installation on an iPhone X, double-click the side button on your device.
- Next, the app will start downloading to your iPhone and installing itself as soon as it finishes. In the App Store, a tiny status circle will appear to the right of the app.
- The app will appear on your iPhone's Home screen after the installation is complete.
- If you can't locate the app on your first or second Home screen, try scrolling across your iPhone's display from right to left.
Instructions For Downloading Apps To Your Android Device
Google Play is where you can get both free and paid applications for your Android phone. Although Google Play is the best place to acquire applications, you could also get them from many other places.
- Go to Google Play and download the app.
- Use Google Play on your phone instead of the native App Store app.
- Go to play.google.com on your PC.
- See what you can do with an app you already have.
- Find out what other people think of the app to be sure it's dependable.
- Check the number of downloads and the number of stars under the app's title.
- Scroll down to the "Reviews" section to see specific customer testimonials.
- Click Install (for free applications) or the app's price to install it.
Instructions For Downloading Apps To Your Windows Phone
Follow the steps below to download applications on your Windows phone:
- Begin by going to the Start screen and then select 'All Apps'.
- Select 'applications' from the drop-down menu that appears. This will lead you to a list of categories where you may go through the information you've gathered. Another option is to enter the app's name into the 'Search' field found below the search bar, if you already know what program you're searching for.
- In order to install an app, choose it from the list and then press 'Install.'
- If this is your first time purchasing anything from the app store, you will be sent to a page where you may create an account.
- Then, enter your birth date and choose the checkbox underneath it. Then click 'Accept' to accept the app store's terms and conditions.
- You will get a message with information about your new account as soon as your phone has finished setting up your new account. To finish the procedure, tap on 'Done.'.
- With an account, Windows will ask whether you really want to download and install the program that was previously chosen for installation. You'll be reminded of the app's title, publisher, and cost. To complete the purchase, click 'Install.'
- The download and installation of your app will now begin. While the process is running, you may go back to the app store and click on 'Check install.' to see whether the installation has been completed.
Make The Most Of Your Apps With Selectra
At Selectra, we aim to provide all relevant information to consumers about various aspects of the digital world, be it mobile plans, DTH providers, or the best OTT platforms. To reach this aim, we’ve added a new category that is a prominent aspect of the digital world; mobile applications.
In this section, we’ll provide great tips, tricks, and all the relevant updates about popular mobile applications and their latest features. So, stay tuned with us for everything about mobile apps!
There are now smartphone applications for just about everything, and they've made and are still making everyday life a whole lot easier for people. Understanding the purpose of each app and using it correctly can help you get the most out of it and have a positive user experience.
With the continuous appearance of outstanding app developers and app development firms ready to offer the necessary pleasure and requirements of mobile app users, there can be no logical question that the industry of mobile app development is growing and will continue to thrive.