How to Port Your Number In 2022 - Airtel, VI, BSNL and Jio
In an attempt to beat their competition, multiple ISPs are introducing new plans that offer more features at lower costs. This might want you to leave your current network provider and switch to one that’s offering better plans. Moreover, you might want to switch providers simply due to many network coverage issues, or due to a negative customer experience.
However, many people refrain from switching providers as they wish to keep their current phone number. Switching numbers comes with a lot of hassles, as you’ll have to share the number with all your contacts again and will have to update the number registered to all your official documents like Adhaar Card or Pan Card.
This is where number portability comes into play. But, what exactly is number portability? In this guide, we’ve covered everything you need to know.
What is Mobile Number Portability?
Mobile Number Portability (MNP) is a method that allows mobile phone subscribers to keep their phone numbers while switching from one mobile network provider to another. You don’t need to pay an added fee to port your number.
To port your number, follow the simple steps for mobile number portability mentioned below:
- Check out the website of the network operator (for example, Airtel/Vodafone) to which you wish to switch from your current network.
- Input the needed information, such as your name, phone number, and location.
- After you log in and upload your details, you will be given the option of SIM Delivery. Where you can choose the day and time slot for your SIM to be shipped.
Furthermore, in the case of Airtel and Vodafone, there is no need to go to their outlets. After accessing their websites, you can simply Port a number at your leisure in a few simple steps. To port your number, you require a Unique Porting Code (UPC) and legitimate ID/address evidence to switch your number from your current provider to a new one.
You must be on your existing mobile phone network for at least 90 days in order to port any number.
How Long Does It Take To Port Your Number?
According to the latest TRAI rules, porting a number would take 48 hours. Apart from a few hours past midnight the same day they actually move your number from the existing provider to the latest one, your number will stay active throughout.
How To Get A Unique Porting Code?
SMS PORT 10-Digit Mobile Number to 1900 to receive the 8-digit Unique Porting Code (UPC).
You will get a response containing the special porting code. The porting code will be valid for 15 days. SMS charges will be applicable as per your plan and usage.
Apart from Jammu and Kashmir, Assam, as well as the North East, where it would be valid for 30 days, UPC would be valid for 4 (four) days in all other regions. (The very day upon which UPC is produced is not counted when calculating the validity of the UPC.)
The following qualifying requirements must be met in order to generate a Unique Porting Code (UPC):
- The customer has cleared ‘Outstanding dues' to the incumbent telecommunication company for the given bill(s) as per the usual billing period in the context of a Post-Paid mobile connection.
- It takes at least 90 days to activate in the current operator's network.
- A request to update the owner of a cell phone number is not currently being processed.
- According to the subscriber agreement's termination provision, there are no outstanding binding obligations for the subscriber to satisfy.
- The court has not ruled that porting a phone number is illegal.
- The phone number that is being ported is not in the middle of a legal fight.
If any of the above verification is negative, the UPC application will be refused, and the explanation for rejection will be sent to the user via SMS.
The Reasons for Porting Request Rejection
For individual users' mobile numbers: the porting application sent by the customer to the Recipient Operator with a legitimate UPC during the validity term of the UPC would not be refused.
For organizational mobile numbers: if the porting application is not followed by a legitimate authorization letter provided by the corporate body, the incumbent operator may refuse it.
How To Withdraw Porting Request
A user can withdraw a porting application within 24 hours of applying by texting 1900. To terminate the port order, SMS ‘CANCEL' (case-insensitive, i.e. ‘cancel' or ‘Cancel', etc.), preceded by a gap and the ten-digit mobile phone number whose porting application is being cancelled.
How To Get An Update About The Porting Status
The user will be notified via SMS at each point of the porting process, including the delivery of the porting order, port removal (if there are any), porting timeline, deactivation period by the recipient operator, and SIM activation by the latest operator/RO.
The Process To Port Your Number Based On Service Providers
Port to Airtel
It's never been easier to move your existing phone number to Airtel! You may now easily put an order online, and then they will come to your home and provide the SIM for free. You could also drop into any of their shops and they will gladly help you with the procedure.
You can port your number to Airtel using the following options mentioned below.
- Using The Internet
- Visit the website to purchase a SIM card online.
- Choose your favourite package and enter your information – Number and Address – and you're done!
- Their staff will contact you, make an appointment, and send a representative to your house to deliver the SIM and acquire your documents. Check out the list of acceptable documents on their website.
- Visiting the Store
- During business hours, you can make an appointment to visit any Airtel store.
- Don't forget to bring your identification and proof of address with you to the shop. Check out the list of acceptable documents from their website.
Port to JIO
If you want to port your number to JIO, consider following the steps given below:
- SMS PORT 10-digit mobile number> to 1900 from your current number that requires to be ported to Jio.
- You would get an SMS with the UPC code as well as its expiration date.
- Bring the UPC (Unique porting code) to the closest Jio Outlet or Jio Retailer
- To put an MNP order, bring either your original Aadhaar card or original Proof of Address (POA) / Proof of Identity (POI) papers.
- Things To Remember
- Pay off all outstanding debts from the new operator (if you have a post-paid account)
- According to government rules, if you port inside the same telecommunications circle, the number will be enabled within three working days of successful verification. It can take up to five working days to port into another telecommunications circle. Your facilities will not be affected at this period.
Browse Prepaid Recharge Plans by Networks
Port to Vodafone Idea (Vi)
You can activate India's fastest 4G network while maintaining your current phone number – just use Mobile Number Portability (MNP) to port your number in four basic steps.
- Click on the MNP page on their website
- Choose the package
- Enter your personal information like your name and the mobile number you need to port
- Verify the order with OTP provided
- What should you be ready with?
- Generate and keep the 8-digit UPC ready. If you want to port a postpaid number, you must upload a copy of your most recent paid bill as well as the porting form (available on their website). Clear the bill and have a copy at hand.
On the Vi website, you can find a full list of documents that are approved for address as well as photo ID proof. Explore the list and keep printed copies of the records at hand.
Port to BSNL
Step 1: To acquire a Unique Porting Code (UPC), submit an SMS to 1900 in the form "Port space 10 digits mobile number" (eg and submit it to 1900); if you are a J&K pre-paid mobile user, dial 1900 rather than sending an SMS.
Step 2: To initiate the porting of your mobile number, you must go to a BSNL CSC (Customer Service Centre) / Licensed franchisee/store. Fill out a CAF (Customer Application Form) and compensate for the porting charges. (At the moment, BSNL does not charge customers for porting into BSNL.)
Step 3: A new BSNL SIM card will be given to you and you will be notified of the date and time of porting until your request has been approved.
Step 4: You must switch your SIM card at the specified time. In the event of a crisis, dial the toll-free number 1800-180-1503 or 1503.
With more people relying on their phones to communicate with each other, network providers are constantly trying to better their services and offer more benefits to their customers. With number porting, you can easily switch to the provider that offers the best services, without having to change their number. So, get the best of both worlds with mobile number portability. To learn more about different mobile-related tips and tricks, keep reading Selectra.
Frequently Asked Questions
What will the cost of switching my mobile network be?
When you generate the UPC Code to begin the porting procedure, you will be charged Rs.19.
How long will the procedure take?
According to TRAI rules, the porting time for a consumer is 7 working days. However, depending on the telecom company's processing period, the process can take anywhere from one week to twelve days.
Is it necessary for me to update my SIM card?
Yes, you must change your SIM card. Your new service provider's customer relations officer will give you a new SIM card once the porting process is complete.
Is it possible to port my phone number more than once?
Yes, providing you have fulfilled the 90-day period with a certain service provider.