How To Activate A Sim Card - Vodafone Idea, Jio, Airtel & BSNL
Who has the patience to browse through multiple plans offered by various providers to find the right one, or wait in long lines to be attended by the sales executive of a network provider? Now, comparing plans, selecting a provider, choosing a plan, and getting a brand new SIM can all be done within minutes from the comfort of your home by ordering online! So, if you’re looking to activate your SIM on your own, consider following the steps mentioned below.
How To Activate Your SIM Card Based On Type of Connection
Before we begin how to activate a SIM, it’s important to remember that the process for different types of connections is different.
Type of Connections
Prepaid and postpaid connections are available from all operators, from which you can choose the best that matches your requirements. The following are the connection types available from different operators:
- Airtel: Postpaid and Prepaid
- Reliance Jio: Postpaid and Prepaid
- Vodafone Idea: Postpaid and Prepaid
- BSNL: Postpaid and Prepaid
How To Activate SIM For Prepaid Consumers
Wait for 30-60 minutes after completing the KYC procedure for your new prepaid connection. You will shortly get alerts on your current phone number to tele-verify it.
To tele-verify the number, call the following numbers according to the operator you've chosen:
- Airtel: 59059
- BSNL: 1507
- Jio: 1977
- Vodafone Idea: 59059
You will be connected to an automated call when you dial the above-mentioned code. To tele-verify your phone number, follow the instructions on the auto-recorded message.
Your prepaid connection would be activated and available to use until the procedure is finished.
After the tele-verification procedure is conducted, the package you chose (the very first recharge) would be auto-credited to your new mobile number.
Please note that if you have not accomplished the tele-verification procedure, your FRC will not be transferred to your new mobile number.
How To Activate SIM For Postpaid Consumers
The activation procedure for a postpaid connection differs somewhat from that of a prepaid connection. To activate your postpaid connection, you must go through a two-step verification process:
1. Tele Validation
This step is similar to that of the prepaid verification process. To check your postpaid connection, dial the below numbers when you start getting alerts on your new connection:
- Airtel: 59059
- BSNL: 1507
- Jio: 1977
- Vodafone Idea: 59059
To tele-verify your mobile number, follow the measures outlined by the automatic recorder.
2. Address Verification
The second stage in activating a postpaid connection is to verify your postpaid number's information. A representative from your new operator will come to your place to confirm the address you provided in your records.
This is a part of the authentication process that all operators would follow in order to validate a postpaid customer.
Your postpaid link will be enabled after all authentication procedures have been completed.
How To Activate SIM For MNP Consumers
Porting requires around 7 days after the SIM cards are delivered. After completing the procedure, all you have to do to activate your mobile number is follow the instructions outlined above, based on the time of connection you ported.
If you port to a prepaid connection, proceed with the above-mentioned prepaid validation process. If you port to a postpaid connection, proceed with the postpaid steps outlined above.
Now that you know how to activate your SIM based on the type of connection, it's also important to note that you need to follow a particular process to activate your SIM regardless of which provider you've chosen.
How To Activate Jio SIM?
If you're using a Reliance Jio prepaid or postpaid SIM, follow the steps below to activate Jio SIM:
Step 1: You can get a new Jio SIM offline from a mobile store or online from any online portal. Once you've got your SIM card, an agent can perform wireless KYC, hassle-free verification on the spot and seamless Jio SIM activation online.
Step 2: Wait for 30-60 minutes after completing the digital KYC procedure for your new prepaid connection. You will shortly get notifications on your current phone number in order to tele-verify it. Dial the Jio SIM activation number; 1977 to tele-verify the mobile number.
Step 3: When you dial the above-mentioned code, you will be connected to an automated call. To tele-verify your phone number, follow the instructions on the auto-recorded message. You may tele verify your phone number by using one of the methods mentioned below:
- Input the 5-digit pin that was sent to your alternative number.
- Input the Aadhaar card number's last four digits.
Step 4: Once the tele-verification procedure is conducted, the package you chose (your first recharge) would be auto-credited to your new phone number.
In the case of cell number portability, you must wait for the latest SIM connection to access the network. Typically, the MNP procedure takes 2-4 business days.
If you ported to a prepaid link, proceed with the above-mentioned verification method. After successful authentication, your Jio SIM connection's facilities will be enabled.
Documentation NeededYou could provide original ID proof which can be used as both a point of identity (POI) and a point of address (POA), or you could provide a hybrid of two ID proofs which can be used as both a POI and a POA.
How to Activate Airtel SIM?
If you're using an Airtel prepaid SIM, ensure you read the instructions properly and follow them during the SIM setup process. Follow the steps below to activate Airtel SIM:
- Wait for 30-60 minutes after completing the KYC procedure for your new prepaid connection.
- You would receive alerts on your new mobile number, and you'll need to tele-verify it.
- Dial the Airtel SIM activate number; 59059 for Airtel to tele-verify the phone number.
- When you dial the above-mentioned number, you will be connected to an auto-recorded call.
- Follow the instructions on the auto-recorded call.
The activation of a postpaid SIM card differs marginally from that of a prepaid number. If you’re using a postpaid Airtel SIM, follow the instructions given below:
- Follow the two-step authentication procedure to unlock your Airtel postpaid number.
- Follow the steps mentioned below to know how to activate an Airtel SIM for postpaid service.
- Tele Authentication- You must dial 59059 in order for Airtel to transmit signals on your new connection.
- Address Verification- A representative from your Airtel provider will come to your home to check the address you provided in your documentation as evidence.
How To Activate Airtel SIM After Porting?
If you have a different SIM card, you could port it to Airtel. You must be curious how to port the number to Airtel. To find out, follow the simple steps outlined below. In this post, you can also learn about some of the methods for activating an Airtel SIM card after registering.
Step 1: Take out your SIM card, plug it into your handset, and turn it on.
Step 2: You must enter a PIN. By default, the PIN number is sent to 1234.
Step 3: Input this number and then click OK. To unlock your SIM card, enter *123#.
If you follow these steps correctly, your connection will display 'Airtel' on the phone. However, if you're facing any troubles with your SIM card, you can check out our guide on troubleshooting common SIM card errors.
How To Activate Vi SIM?
There are several options to activate your Vi SIM card. You can activate from a Vi shop near you, or you could just do it yourself by dialing a number or sending an SMS. Let's take a look at the various methods if you're wondering how to activate your Vi SIM card.
1. How to Activate Vi SIM Card Over the Phone
Let's look at how to use your phone to activate the Postpaid Vi SIM.
- Dial the Vi SIM activation number, followed by the India country code 59059.
- Next, utilize the dial keypad, follow the voice directions, and enter your identity and account details.
- Wait 24 hours after receiving the details for your SIM card to be allowed.
Your Vi new SIM card is activated and available to use when you can message and answer phone calls.
2. How To Activate Vi SIM Card During A Store Visit
To activate your SIM during a store visit follow these steps:
- Find the closest Vi store using the Store Locator tab.
- Now is the time to submit your ID and address evidence papers.
- If you have some logistical problems mostly during the SIM card activation procedure, speak with a store executive.
3. Activation Of A New Vi-SIM Card Online
- To begin, go to the SIM Delivery page.
- Now, fill in the details with information such as your name, phone number, area, and so on.
- They will bring the SIM card to your home via the delivery person after you have registered for your SIM activation online.
- You may also request your delivery man to help you activate your SIM or dial 59059 to do so.
4. SMS Activation of a Vi SIM Card
SMS can be used to access both prepaid and postpaid services. Let's go through each phase on How to Activate Vi SIM Internet.
- SMS the SIMEX SIM card number (19-20 digits) to 55199.
- After that, you'll get an SMS from 55199 with the last six digits of your SIM card number lost.
- You must return the last six digits to 55199 within two hours of getting the SMS.
- Following that, you will get a progress SMS, and your SIM will be activated over the next 20 minutes.
Place your SIM card into slot 1 of your smartphone and choose LTE/4G from the network settings to experience Vi's uninterrupted services.
How To Activate BSNL SIM?
It usually takes about 24 to 48 hours to activate a new BSNL 2G/3G SIM Card. You must have included an alternative mobile phone number in CAF when filling out the new connection application. This secondary mobile number could also be used to confirm your identification.
Consumers must now dial 1507 or 123 using their SIM cards until the BSNL SIM activation is completed. This will take you to the tele verification stage. You will begin using your BSNL SIM until your tele registration is done and validated. Follow the steps given below to activate BSNL SIM:
Step 1: First and foremost, switch off your mobile phone. Put a BSNL sim card into your device.
Step 2: By pushing the “Power” button, you can turn on the phone. Now, you must wait for the network to connect.
Step 3: On the handset dial pad, enter the BSNL activation number; “1507” or “123.” Following that, you will be requested to select a language. Following the selection of a language, you will be asked for Tele-verification. You must check your ID card in order to do so. Your SIM card has now been enabled.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a SIM card?
A SIM card, also known as a Subscriber Identity Module, is a little piece of plastic that fits into your phone and allows you to interact with your mobile phone provider. In other words, a SIM card serves as a bridge between your phone and your network provider. You can learn more about SIM cards in our comprehensive guide.
Can my SIM card break?
SIM cards, like almost everything else, might be damaged or shattered and do not last forever. When this occurs, you'll be the first to know since your phone will notify you that the chip is faulty. In this instance, you will be unable to connect to your cellular carrier. If your SIM is broken, simply reach out to your network provider and request a new SIM card. But, don't forget to block the existing SIM card first.
Can I use my phone without activating my SIM card?
You can partially use your phone without activating your card. For instance, you’ll be able to use phone apps like cameras, calculators, flashlight apps, etc. You can even browse the net and binge your favorite show on Netflix by connecting to a WiFi network. However, you won’t be able to use cellular data functions on your phone, like making a call or sending a text message.